Thursday, March 19, 2015

Week 9: Critical Media Literacy, Breaking News, and Images

In considering all the various news outlets and sources available to us every minute of every day, it is hard to ignore the different interpretations, perspectives, and points of view we are exposed to on a regular basis.  Media impacts what we think and how we feel.  It often plays on our sympathies as well as our emotions.  We are sent information regarding sensationalized news topics constantly throughout our day.  There are various outlets from which we receive constant updates and notifications through Internet, TV, and Radio, to name a few.  Many hours are spent daily staying connected to stories we hear, waiting for updates and further information. These notifications and updates spread through social networking offering a new way to communicate, share, and comment on news events using technology. What story does it tell? What message is bring conveyed?  Is the news source trying to sway your opinion by how they are delivering the story and the images they share?

Images are used to convey a message and to attract people’s attention. Traditional news outlets such as print, radio, magazine, and television are now enhanced and improved with online media sources.  Through applications such as Twitter and Facebook, we are sent the latest and greatest news stories.  Each trying to outdo each other with the images they share and the details they provide.  In addition, through alerts, we receive information and breaking news as it is happening.  When does it become too much information?  Both adults and children are influenced by the news and constant influx of information overload.  Images we are exposed to on the Internet act as a foundation of what we know and conclusions we make on a topic or news event.  According to our text, “the fact that the Internet is crammed full with images is in large part a matter of available technology; and it has profound semiotic consequences” (Kress, page 220).  Through images, people make decision, develop options, and share their comments and feedback with others. People interpret messages and images differently providing plenty of material for sharing, commentary, and discussions. The images we see also allow us to reach decisions in regards to what the pictures are saying as well as what they are not saying. The news and media influences our daily lives and sways our opinions and points of view.  It is hard to not become emotionally connected to stories we hear and pictures/images we see. 

References:
Kress, G., & van Leeuwen, T. (2006). Reading Images. New York, NY: Routledge.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    I know on social media there are always messages and images that show up on my news feed that spark emotion inside of me, but it really upsets me when I find out that the images that truly touched me were fabricated or not true in any way.
    While I think it is great to be up to get up to date news on social media, I sometimes have to question how much of it is true because of all the fake information that tends to show up. I try to stick with legit news sites for the information and I try not to share information unless I know it's true. I do share posts on animals and finding them homes or missing pets even if I am not 100 percent certain they are true, but I am more apt to share if they are local pets because if it were my pet I would want the information being shared to help me find my beloved animal. As you mentioned, when does it become too much information? Many people utilize social media for their information instead of the local news channels. They have to remember not everything they read is true or correct, but way too often people take what they are reading as being factual and instead they do not have all the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great points, Mandy! When I am on FacebBook, I often see images and news headlines from questionable sources. I typically check with a legit site myself to check to see if the article is true. It is amazing how much sensationalized and false information is out there. I follow/like many animal rescue sites myself. I always try to share local lost pets as well - you never know. I get upset when I see images of hurt or injured pets in my news feed...sometimes it is just too much. I know their goal is to either raise awareness or ask for help financially for the animal but it really is sometimes very disturbing. While I think having information available as it happens is important in the world we live in today - I still wonder when enough is enough and it causes more harm than good - and a distraction.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is the one drawback to all of the digital media and technology growth; what is fact and what is fiction? With all of the "enhancements and alterations" that imagery now undergoes and at the rate that visuals are shared the truth often appears to be lost. I find that I often have to visit several "credited" (I use the term lightly) news sources in order to get a glimpse of the truth. So much is shock value and hype for attention and "likes & follows" that the truth is often hard to get to. I think that Cathy is absolutely correct in her observation that it is all very much a competition and in some ways ethics get cast aside!

    In regard to some of the horrific images of animals etc, I will say that many in rescue and foster do post some pretty horrific images (I am responsible for doing so as well) often it is to get attention and to raise funds for the bills in addition to hopefully gain enough public support and backing (primarily through petitions) to hopefully bring the abusers to justice. Animal cruelty is now predominately a felony yet people still get away with it. On the other side of that sword I have personally "busted" individuals on FB who have passed off images and stories of abuse to raise money for an animal that has already been euthanized; this not only makes it hard on those who are truly rescuing and rehabilitating but it makes it hard for the general public to trust and support as they question who is truly legitimate. I agree with you ladies that sometimes the imagery is too much and that some peoples motives are not in fact very good ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon - I am connected to so many rescue, lost pet, and foster sites and I donate when I can, but there are just so many sad, terrible stories related to animals...sometimes it is hard to see and hard to imagine. I often wish there was more that I can do and seeing some of those images makes me fee so helpless... I just don't get how anyone can hurt an animal. So sad but in the end I am glad there are sites like that to save and protect them.

      Cathy

      Delete